Saturday, September 08, 2007

Crazy Crazy Alabama!!!!!!!!!!!

Ladies ladies ladies (and gents--I think there are a few who might read this:>) ....Alabama has been the ultimate adventure for us!! I really don't even know where to begin! The last few weeks have been busy and fun and stressful and maddening and scary and wild and crazy!! Should I start with the good or the bad...hmmmm...I think the good, I like feeling happy!! Birmingham and the surrounding areas are amazing! The place is huge! Most of the people are incredibly friendly and helpful and funny and very welcoming (I will explain about the OTHER people shortly)! We offically moved to Birmingham on the 1st of Sept. But...much took place before that! We stayed with Jer's parents in Atlanta for about 2 weeks, Jer and his dad traveled from UT to Atl. with our big ol' Ford and car attatched to that. After 3 long days of driving, a missing chair (which is now in Wyoming somewhere--you are welcome to it Erin!!), a missing crib leg, and a shredded tarp, they arrived safe and sound! We parked the truck in the back yard --it was quite the sight!!

Sometime during our stay we made two trips up to Birmingham to check out our home-to-be and to try to find an apartment. I will spare you all of the details but the 1st day was fun, we saw a lot of fun places, but had no luck with finding a nice apt--oh, and we somehow came across the projects when we took a wrong turn...that was the scariest and saddest thing I have EVER seen, we locked the doors and drove as quickly as possible to get out of there!! On our second trip we were with Jer's grandparents and they helped us find an apt. We had success this time. Oh, and we ate lunch the craziest establishment I have ever been to--I loved it! The place was packed, the line was huge and yet we were sitting at a table eating lunch within minutes of arriving. What happens is you get to the front of this cafeteria style line which has about 8,342 food choices. One server is in charge of a small section of items. When you get to them they quickly say, "whatmeat?" or "whatvegtable (said that way!)" or "whatside" etc!, if you don't respond within 2 seconds they ignore you and push your tray to the next server. Before you know it you are at the cash register and are lucky if you managed to get anything on your plate!! HAahahahaaaa! It was great--I will treat any one of you to it if you come and visit us!! Anyway, the rest of the day we apt. searched and finally found one we really liked and that was affordable and in an excellent area (close to EVERYTHING). So, we paid a deposit and were told that the apt would be ready for us by the 1st. Everything was going great!!

Then...we arrived on the 1st to a disaster...however, we have to run to the store so I will have to continue the story in a few hrs hopefully...

PS--I've loved all of the posts you guys have done recently--I miss you all!

1 comments:

Kelly said...

That was just wrong of you. . .I'm just getting into the story and you stop it there! I never knew you were so cruel Katie!